Accounts and Users.
All about Revive Adserver's account and user system.
Accounts vs. Users
Revive Adserver has both accounts and users.
- Users represent an actual person who has permissions to log into a Revive Adserver installation. A user has a username and password which allows them to log in (as well as some other data, like their name and email address).
- Accounts are associated with different objects within the Revive Adserver hierarchy, and provide access to the data within Revive Adserver appropriate to that object. Revive Adserver as the following account types:
- The administrator account - a top-level account which provides full administrative access to the Revive Adserver instance, including global configuration options for the installation, as well as access to all manager, advertiser and website level accounts. Only one administrator account can exist in Revive Adserver, which is called the "Administrator account" in a default installation.
- Manager accounts - accounts at a level above the advertiser and website level accounts, which provide access to a defined set of advertiser and website objects. By default, Revive Adserver installs with a single default manager account called "Default manager".
- Advertiser accounts - accounts at an advertiser object level. By default, Revive Adserver does not create any advertiser accounts on installation.
- Website accounts - accounts at a website object level. By default, Revive Adserver does not create any website accounts on installation.
Managing Users associated with the Administrator Account
To manage which users are associated with the administrator account, you will need to be working as the administrator account, and then go to Inventory > Admin Access.
Here, you can:
- Associate an additional user with the administrator account, by selecting Actions > Add user; or
- Remove users from having access to the administrator account, by selecting the Remove option next to the appropriate user.
When associating (adding) a user to an account, the first step in the process is to supply the username for the user.
In the event that the username already exists in the system, the user will immediately be associated with the account.
However, in the event that the username does not exist in the system, you will be prompted to supply some required details, and Revive Adserver will then create the new user, and associate it with the account as requested.
This process of associating am existing user with an account / creating a new user to associate with an account is the same regardless of the level of account - so the above process for adding a user applied not only to the administrator account, but to all other account types as well.
Creating new Manager Accounts
The creation of new manager accounts can only be performed by the administrator account.
When logged in as a user associated with the administrator account, new manager accounts can be created by going to Inventory > Account Management and select Actions > Add new account.
Provide a name for the new manager account, as well as the name of a contact person and their email address.
Please note that the name and email address are only for sending reports - they are not related to a user.
Click on Save Changes to create the new manager account.
Managing Users associated with a Manager Account
There are two locations where you can manage which users are associated with a manager account.
As the Administrator
When working as the administrator account, go to Inventory > Account Management and select the name of the manager account you want to manage users for. Then, click on the User Access tab.
From here, the Actions > Add user option will allow you to associate an existing or new user with the manager account, in the same way as described above for managing users associated with the administrator account, but with one additional option.
At the manager account level (as well as the advertiser and website levels), there is a permission option in addition to the standard user details.
When the "Allow this user to associate users (new or existing) with this account" is selected, then the user will be permitted to associate other users - either new ones, or existing ones - with the account.
Otherwise, when the permission is not selected, the user will still have access to the account, but will not be able to associate other users with it.
As the Manager
When working as the manager account itself, go to Inventory > User Access.
From here, the Actions > Add user option will allow you to associate an existing or new user with the manager account, in the same way as described above for managing users associated with the administrator account.
You will only be able to associate a new or existing user with a manager account if your user association with the manager account has been given permission to do so (or if you have the permission through a higher association, e.g. by your user being associated with the adminstrator account).